General Education Core Competencies
Background: What is Competency Assessment?
Florida Keys Community College strives to ensure that its graduates who complete the core curriculum possess the knowledge, skills and values associated with college-educated individuals.
A method for accomplishing this is to assess general education, the core curriculum, each semester to identify that graduates demonstrate proficiency in competencies that are integrated within the academic disciplines.
These competencies include the ability to effectively communicate, seek creative solutions to problems, exhibit global, cultural, and environmental awareness, and command basic technological skills. Students who acquire proficiency in these areas have an enhanced opportunity to experience the positive impact of education, which can, in turn, ignite a passion for continual, life-long learning.
In May 2013, faculty reviewed the compentencies and identified specific outcomes for each compentency. Faculty agreed on the four following competencies and their outcomes as being primary for FKCC graduates:
- Demonstrate the concept of structure in different forms of writing
- Identify and respond to the author’s purpose in communication
- Research, cite, document and evaluate source material
- Use conventions of format and structure appropriately to the rhetorical structure
- Constructively critique the work of self and others
Global, Cultural, Environmental Awareness:
- Recognize multiple perspectives
- Evaluate diverse socio-cultural perspectives
- Evaluate ethics of issues in relation to cultures and groups
- Make informed and principled decisions with respect to individual conduct, the community, and environment
- Analyze and interpret diverse human experience and values
- Apply inductive/deductive reasoning
- Determine the validity of data, information or statements
- Evaluate the relevance of information for a purpose or argument
- Formulate a hypothesis based on relevant observations
- Apply mathematical concepts and techniques to real-life problems
- Utilize appropriate technology effectively
- Locate, access, and evaluate appropriate sources of information
- Effectively present data using appropriate visuals through multi-media presentations
- Access and utilize appropriate software as needed
- Use a variety of technologies to communicate to a range of audiences