In accordance with Public Law 93-380, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, student records at Florida Keys Community College, with the exception of directory information, are confidential and cannot be released except with the written permission of the student. All student records are open for inspection and review by the student unless she/he waives this right.
Directory information, which may be made public, includes the student's name, address, telephone listing, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student. Students not wishing the dissemination of "directory information" without prior consent must sign a statement in the Office of Enrollment Services within one week after the close of registration each term.
The Director of Enrollment Services is the official custodian of records and is responsible for registration, transcript evaluation, student records, graduation certification, and the submission of necessary State and Federal reports on enrollment. Pertinent portions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act are included in the Student Handbook.
Notice of Change
Notifications regarding change of address and change of name should be filed promptly in the Office of Enrollment Services. Students may change their own addresses on the FKCC website at www.fkcc.edu.
Computer Lab Usage
III. Modification of FKCC Computing Services
FKCC may modify or discontinue computing services with or without notice to any User, without liability to any User or any third party.
IV. General Guidelines
(1) Only students enrolled in classes at FKCC for the current term are permitted to use the computer facilities.
(2) A current student identification card or class schedule is required to use the computer facility.
(3) Students are required to provide a data diskette while using the computer services. Permission will be denied to use the facility without the use of a diskette.
(4) No student work is to be saved or stored on the computer hard disk, even temporarily. Any work left on the hard disk can and will be deleted.
(5) No food, candy or drinks will be allowed in any computer facility or classroom. Absolutely NO exceptions will be permitted.
(6) The computer should not be turned on or off. Ask for assistance if needed.
Although it is FKCC’s policy to respect the privacy of Users, use of FKCC computing facilities is not private, and may be reviewed by system administrators as part of normal operations. FKCC implies no privacy or secrecy for those using FKCC computing services.
VI. Illegal Use
The FKCC computer facility and network may be used only for lawful purposes. Transmission, distribution or storage of any material in violation of any applicable law or regulation is prohibited. This includes, without limitations, material protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret, or other intellectual property right used without proper authorization, and material that is obscene, defamatory, constitutes an illegal threat or violates export control law.
Time limits of computer use can and will be set to accommodate the greatest number of students. Time limits will be posted and will be enforced when demand exceeds the available number of computers.
(1) Use Print View to view your output and make changes prior to printing your work.
(2) Multiple copies cannot be printed. If needed, please use a copier.
(3) Do not print materials from the Internet. If a copy is needed, download it to diskette.
IX. Hardware and Software
(1) Downloading of any software program from these systems will be in violation of copyright laws.
(2) Installing any software onto these systems is not permitted.
(3) Please do not bang, hit, move, connect or disconnect any hardware items. For assistance, ask the person on duty.
(4) Computers are to be used for schoolwork only.
(5) Please use only the software needed for your class and on which you have had training. Do not explore other software on these systems or on the Local Area Network.
X. DO NOT:
(1) Delete any software programs, files or directories/folders on these systems.
(2) Reconfigure any software programs installed on these systems.
(3) Create your own directories or folders.
(4) Change any Windows desktop settings.
(5) Attempt to fix problems on your own. Ask for help from the lab assistant on duty.
XI. Virus Detection and Removal
All FKCC computing facility computers have a virus checking software. Please scan your disks before and after using any FKCC computer. This will help detect and remove viruses before they can spread.
(1) FKCC does not provide e-mail accounts for its students. You can get free e-mail accounts from various sources.
(2) E-mail accounts accessed from FKCC computer facilities must be downloaded to your diskette. Any e-mail downloaded to an FKCC computer can and will be deleted.
(3) Never consider electronic communications and transactions to be completely private.
II. Acceptable Content of E-Mail Messages
FKCC does not edit or censor the contents of User’s e-mail messages. Users alone are responsible for the contents of their messages and the consequences of any such messages. User agrees that they will not use FKCC computing facilities for chain letters, junk mail, "spamming," solicitations (commercial or non-commercial), or any use of distribution lists to any person who has not given specific permission to be included in such a process. User further agrees not to use FKCC computing facilities to send any messages or materials that are unlawful, harassing, libelous, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene or otherwise objectionable material of any kind or nature or that encourages conduct that could constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liabilities or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law or regulation.
III. Chat Rooms
Chat room use is not permitted unless specifically indicated by an Instructor for classroom assignments.
IV. Game Playing
Game playing from any Internet site, including MOOs, MUDs, etc., is not permitted.
Users are not permitted to download, for any reason, to the hard disk of any FKCC computer.
VI. Internet Browser Configurations
Users are not permitted to change or alter any Internet browser configuration settings.
II. Violation of Policies
III. Disclaimer of Warranties
(1) User expressly agrees that use of FKCC computing facilities is at User’s sole risk. FKCC computing facilities are provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis. FKCC makes no warranty that FKCC computing facilities will meet User’s requirements or that FKCC computing facilities services will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error free.
(2) User understands and agrees that any material and/or data downloaded or otherwise obtained through the use of FKCC computing facilities is at User’s own discretion and risk and that User will be solely responsible for any damage to User’s computer system or loss of data that results from the download of such material and/or data.
(3) FKCC makes no warranty regarding any goods or services purchased or obtained through FKCC computing facilities or any transaction entered into through the Internet.
(4) No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained by User from FKCC or through FKCC computing facility shall create any warranty not expressly made herein.
IV. Limitations of Liabilities
FKCC shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages, resulting from the use or the inability to use FKCC computing facilities.
V. Applicable Law
FKCC Library Acceptable Internet Use Policy
I. Internet Uses
The FKCC Library Internet access is intended primarily as an information resource to support the educational and research needs of our community college students, faculty and staff. Access is granted to support cultural, social, and community service programs of the College. We extend the privilege of access to the community when they become a library user according to our community borrower policy; however, FKCC students, faculty and staff retain first priority. FKCC Library Internet use is NOT allowed for commercial or illegal purposes.
II. Internet Content Responsibilities
The Internet is a global network of multimedia information with no central authority or governing body. The library can and does recommend interesting and useful Internet sites and resources for our patrons to explore. The primary gateway to recommended sites is through the FKCC library website. However, providing a link in no way means we are responsible for the content of those sites.
Because the Internet has no governing body, there may be material that is offensive to some patrons. It is the patron’s responsibility to monitor use. Sites containing nudity, obscenity, or graphic violence are not considered appropriate due to public terminal display.
You are required to return to the FKCC Library website (click on home), or exit the browser after use. If you fail to do so the library has the right to deny future access. This is to protect your privacy, and the right of others to access Internet materials only of their interest.
III. Time Limits
Time limits can and will be set to assure the greatest access for the greatest number of patrons. Time limits will be posted, and will be enforced when demand exceeds the supply of work stations available. We have the right to change these time limits to allow the greatest access to the greatest number of patrons, but again time limits will be posted.
Printing everything you see can be tempting in the library environment, where there is no direct cost to you, the user. However, we must pay for paper, toner, and printer upkeep. By limiting your printing to only the information you need, you enable us to keep this "free to the user" service available. If too many resources are consumed, the library reserves the right to charge for printing. See signs for any indication of charges. Remember, downloading a page to a disk is possible for later retrieval and printing on your personal computer if you have browser software.
V. Chat Rooms
Chat rooms for pleasure use will not be given priority in our library. We discourage lengthy discussions, unless of an academic nature, relating to course work or research. Patrons wishing to conduct research will be given priority.
FKCC Library does not provide e-mail accounts for its students or patrons. You can get free e-mail accounts from various Internet sources. If you access your e-mail on our computers, please realize that this is a low priority. Patrons wishing to conduct research will be given priority.
VII. Downloading/Changing Configuration
You are NOT permitted to download to the hard drive on any library computer. You are NOT allowed to make permanent changes to browser configuration, such as default e-mail address. If you do either of the above without permission from a library staff member, we have the right to deny further access.
Community Borrower Computer User Agreement
The library computer lab is the only lab on campus with access to the public. The library lab is part of the college and students do have priority. The library lab may be closed to the public while classes are taught, and if all computers are taken, community members will be asked to allow students to use the computers. We do not take reservations for computers but feel free to call the library at 296-9081, ext. 494 to check on computer availability.
Please remember the following rules for using computers at Florida Keys Community College.
Do not download-no software, no audio files, no video files, nothing. We need to preserve our bandwidth for college purposes.
Do not display images or web pages that may be deemed offensive. These are public computers and all web pages that are accessed should be suitable for viewing by all members of the public.
Children under the age of 18 are not allowed to use the computers without the supervision of a parent or guardian and the permission of library staff.
Limit printing to one copy of each document. There is a copy machine for making multiple copies of documents.
Do not conduct business on the computers. These computers are state property and according to statue cannot be used to advertise, sell or conduct any type of business. This includes EBay and online trading.
Violation of any of these rules will result in the loss of computer privileges on campus. Further violations will be submitted to the Dean of Students for disciplinary action.