The mission of the nursing program at Florida Keys Community College is to prepare nursing students for personal success, responsible citizenship and entry into the nursing profession. We strive to develop nurses who can provide safe, quality evidence based patient-centered care to the diverse populations that encompass the islands of the Florida Keys as well to the greater global community.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM:
Approved by the Florida State Board of Nursing, this program is designed to prepare men and women to function with intellectual and technical competence as registered nurses. The instructional staff is dedicated to helping students achieve individual academic success and enter the field of nursing as competent clinicians. The Associate in Science Degree in Nursing is awarded upon completion of the twenty-two month generic RN program.
The graduate then becomes eligible to apply to the Florida Board of Nursing to take the NCLEX-RN for licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse.
FKCC’s AS in Nursing, a limited-access program, is approved by the Florida Board of Nursing.
The Associate in Science in Nursing Program is approved by the Florida Board of Nursing and accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
Florida Keys Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate and associate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Florida Keys Community College.
For more information, refer to the Nursing Student Handbook.
Click here to create/log into your Future Student Account and complete your FKCC Application online.
Fall semester: May 15
Spring semester: October 15
Pre-requisites – 9 credit hours
- ENC 1101 English Composition (3)
- MAC 1105 College Algebra (3)
- PSY 2012 General Psychology (3)
Core Requirements – 21 credit hours
- BSC 1085 Anatomy & Physiology I (3)
- BSC 1085L Anatomy & Physiology I Lab (1)
- DEP 2004 Human Growth & Development (3)
- BSC 1086 Anatomy & Physiology II (3)
- BSC 1086L Anatomy & Physiology II Lab (1)
- CHM 1033 Chemistry for Health Sciences (3)
- MCB 2010 Microbiology (3)
- MCB 2010L Microbiology Lab (1)
- PHI 2010 Intro to Philosophy (3)
Nursing Core Classes – 42 total credit hours
Please note these classes may only be taken AFTER admission into the Nursing Program
- NUR 1020C Fundamentals of Nursing (7)
- NUR 1142 Pharmacology in Nursing (3)
- NUR 1211C Clinical Nursing I (8)
- NUR 1520C Nursing in Mental Health (5)
- NUR 2213C Clinical Nursing II (8)
- NUR 2462C Maternal Child Health (7)
- NUR 2818C Clinical Nursing III (4)
The courses listed above are only a guide. Following these tracks does not guarantee admission into a university. Course requirements may change each year. You are responsible and encouraged to work closely with your advisor. For more information, contact the Office of Advising Services at 305-809-3196 or the Nursing Office, (305) 809-3544 or FKCC.email@example.com