The purpose of the Dual Enrollment program is to provide qualified high school students the opportunity to enroll free of charge in college courses to earn both college credit and credit toward high school graduation.
Basic Eligibility Requirements:
Students must have:
- An eligible secondary student who is enrolled in any grades 6 through 12 in a Florida public or private school.
- An un-weighted cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 or higher (a cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for vocational PSAV courses.)
- Recommendation from the guidance counselor, assistant principal, or the principal.
- Demonstrated readiness for college course work through scores on the College Placement Test (CPT), Post-Secondary Educational Readiness Test (PERT), American College Testing (ACT), Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT) 2.0 or Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT).
- Course prerequisites listed in the current FKCC Catalog.
- No Physical Education Courses (including those courses that start with the prefix PEN or PEQ)
- No Developmental Courses
- No Courses with a lab fee of $225 or greater
- No Courses that are less than three (3) credits that are not designated as lab courses
How do I get started?
- Parents and students should evaluate and research the student’s education and career goals. The websiteFlorida Shines (http://floridashines.org) is an excellent educational planning website.
- Browse through the current FKCC Catalog to identify the degree programs and courses that interest the student, then:
- Meet with the school guidance counselor to discuss the student’s goals and the FKCC accelerated education options that can help the student reach them.
- Arrange for free college placement testing, for example PERT, if the student plans to enroll in college credit classes and has not taken an appropriate college placement test.
- Students must make an appointment to take the PERT test.
- To make an appointment, students must complete the PERT Authorization Form with their guidance counselor and return the form to FKCC with a completed Dual Enrollment Application for Admission.
- Alternatively, the guidance counselor can call the Coordinator for Continuing Education & Workforce Testing & Training, Megan Perez, at (305) 809-3238 to schedule an appointment. The student must show up 30 minutes prior to testing with all completed forms.
- Once the student has been assigned a student ID by FKCC, the student may take the PERT test.
- Students are responsible for returning test scores to their guidance counselor.
- Complete all sections of the Dual Enrollment Application form (if this is the first time you are registering) and Dual Enrollment Authorization form (or Approval form for Home School Students) and secure all the required signatures.
- Meet with an FKCC academic advisor to review and approve suggested classes.
- Submit completed Authorization forms to FKCC Admissions/Enrollment Services Office for processing.
- Parents and students should familiarize themselves with the Colleges add/drop policies.
- Students may drop from a course only during the drop/add period. This effectively removes the course from the student’s transcript.
- After the add/drop period has passed students may withdraw from the course up to the 70% point of the course. Students must follow the approved FKCC withdraw procedure. Courses from which students withdraw from will appear on the student’s transcript with a grade of a “W”.
- For specific dates, please consult the academic calendar on the College web site or in the Student Handbook.
Appropriate Forms are available below.
Commonly Used Forms
Public School Students
Dual Enrollment Authorization Form-Monroe County School District Students
Dual Enrollment Application for Admission Form-Monroe County School District Students
PERT Authorzation Form
Home School Students
Dual Enrollment Home School Approval Form
Dual Enrollment Application for Admissions Form-Home School Students
Home School Dual Enrollment Articulation Agreement
Island Christian School Students
Dual Enrollment Authorization Form-Island Christian School
Dual Enrollment Application for Admission Form-Island Christian School
For more information, please contact the Dual Enrollment Liaison: Christina Leahy at Christina.Leahy1@fkcc.edu or (305) 809-3268.