The College of the Florida Keys welcomes new and transfer students interested in using their Tuition Assistance &/or Veteran’s Education Benefits to complete one or more of our eligible degree programs.

Here are links to resources to ensure you are prepared:

1 – Apply for VA benefits

If you have never claimed benefits you must first complete an application with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Electronic applications are made using the Veteran Online Application (VONAPP). Keep a copy of your application and confirmation page when you submit online. Veterans that are claiming benefits under Chapters 30, 32, 33, 1606, or 1607 can submit a hard copy Application for VA Education Benefits (Form 22-1990).

If you are a spouse or child of a service member or veteran who has transferred all or some of their Post 9/11 GI Bill to you, make sure it has been approved by the Department of Defense (DoD) first. Then, complete Form 22-1990E. Additional information regarding the transfer of benefits can be found on the VA website here.

If you have already used your VA benefits at another institution and are transferring in to FKCC, please complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Form 22-1995). Submit your completed form to the FKCC Financial Aid office.

Once VA processes your application, they will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. You will need to submit your Certificate of Eligibility and your most recent DD-214 (Member-4) to our office before requesting enrollment certification.

If you have questions on what you qualify for and differences between benefits, VA has information to help you in determining what benefit is best for you on their website. You can also call VA Education Services for additional assistance at 1-888-442-4551.

2 – Apply to the college 

Contact your previous college(s) or if this is your first time in college, contact your high school/GED to request official copies of your transcripts to be sent to the Enrollment Services office. Information about military transcripts and how to request transcripts is available at the following links:
• Army (AARTS transcript)
• Navy & Marine Corps (SMART Transcript)

Many Veteran students are eligible for financial aid including grants and scholarships. Receiving financial aid does not affect your VA benefits in any way. Complete the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

4 – Register for classes and request enrollment certification to receive VA benefits

Contact Advising Services to make an appointment with an Academic Advisor or contact your program’s Director for assistance in creating an academic plan and choosing courses.

One you are registered, complete the Certification Request Form and submit it, along with a copy of your schedule, to our office. This is your way of letting us know that you are registered and ready to be certified. You can submit your request up to 60 days before the start of the term.

5 – Pay for classes

It is every student’s responsibility to ensure that their student account is current and paid in full by the payment deadline each term. Each student’s level of benefits are unique and VA may not cover all of the term’s fees. If you qualify for any VA benefits, you can apply for a 60-day deferment of fees for Fall and Spring terms or a 30-day deferment for Summer terms. This can be used once per calendar year. If you would like to request a deferment of fees please submit the Deferment Request Form to Business Services.
6 – Books
You can view required materials and/or order from You should order your books ahead of time so you do not get behind in your classes. For Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients, the VA will reimburse you with a portion of your book and supply stipend each term, which totals up to $1000 per year. For Ch 31 recipients, ask your VA Vocational Rehabilitation counselor about books and supplies since we do not have an on campus bookstore. If you are also a financial aid recipient you may be eligible for a book voucher.


State caps for tuition & fee payments have been eliminated. Instead, the VA will only pay the net charges for in-state tuition and fees for any program for public schools.
Break pay is eliminated for all GI Bill programs.
You have to be enrolled full-time to get the full housing allowance.
To see a full list of changes click here.


Resource Guide for CFK VA Students

If you have questions for CFK’s certifying official please email

CFK highly recommends that all of our veteran students take the time to meet with the Monroe County Veterans Affairs Department. The friendly and knowledgable staff there are happy to help you gain access to the all of the benefits that may be available to you including disability, healthcare and non-service connected pension. Please call 305-295-5150 to make an appointment.


For specific information about benefits, current and prospective students can call the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or log in to