Answers to most financial aid questions can be found at

What information do I need when I fill out a FAFSA?

Am I an Independent or Dependent student?

Who is my ‘parent’ when I fill out the FAFSA?

Where can I find out more information about Bright Futures?

Disbursement – How is aid paid to me & when?

Student financial aid such as Pell, SEOG and Direct Loans are awarded to student accounts as authorizations. Approximately four weeks after the term starts, financial aid is paid to student accounts through the disbursement process.
There is an EXCEPTION for student loans:
·         Students that request a loan for one term or who are on financial aid probation will receive their funds in 2 disbursements. The first payment will be made on the normal disbursement date. The second payment will be made after 60% of the term has been completed.
On DISBURSEMENT DAY, the Financial Aid and Business Offices will be busy with the following tasks:
·         Verify student attendance/enrollment – loan funds are not paid to students that have less than 6 credit hours of attendance
·         Calculate student credit balances from financial aid and student term payments
·         Subtract all student charges for tuition, fees, books
·         Calculate refunds after term charges
·         Generate refund checks
·         Mail checks to students

What is FKCC’s federal school code?
FKCC’s Federal School Code is 001485.

What is the FAFSA?

The FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
You need to fill out the FAFSA to be eligible for grants, work-study jobs, student loans and scholarships.
You can apply online at
To complete your application, you will need a FAFSA ID to electronically sign your FAFSA. This is to ensure your privacy and security. You can obtain your FAFSA ID at

When should I apply for financial aid?
The Free Application for FAFSA is available every year on January 1st.
You should apply early even if you are not planning to start school until the summer or fall. That way you can figure out how you are going to pay for school before you begin. A student must have valid ISIR data/paper SAR at the institution prior to the last day of enrollment at that campus to be considered for payment.

I do not think I will qualify for financial aid. Should I still apply?
Yes. Many scholarships and state grants require completion of the FAFSA at

Do I have to reapply for financial aid each year? 
Yes, you must apply for Financial Aid each year. You can apply online at

Do I have to wait for admission before applying for financial aid?
No, but you do have to be admitted and registered to receive financial aid.

Do I have to be enrolled full-time to receive financial aid?
No. In some cases if you are eligible for financial aid, the amount of aid you receive will be determined by the number of credits you are enrolled in. Be aware that some grants, scholarships and loan programs do require students to be enrolled at least half-time or full-time in order to be eligible.

If I am a Non-U.S. Citizen can I still receive financial aid?
Yes if you are determined to be an eligible non-citizen. The following types of non-citizens are eligible for federal financial aid:
US Permanent Residents with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551) or Conditional Permanent Resident (I-551C) or those with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) showing the destinations of Refugee, Asylum Granted, Parolee or Cuban- Haitian Entrant or those with an Immigration Court document approving Asylum or documentation or entering the U.S. under provisions of the Victims or Trafficking and Violence Protection Act are eligible for federal financial aid.

Are international students eligible to receive state or federal financial aid? 
No. There are, however a number of privately funded scholarship programs for International students. Go to to explore your options.

What does ‘EFC’ stand for?
The term EFC stands for: Expected Family Contribution. Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is the number that’s used to determine your eligibility for federal student aid. The EFC is not the amount of money that your family must provide.

What is a Pell Grant? How can I get one?
Pell Grants are federally-funded, need-based, cash grants given to college students to help pay for college. Pell Grants can be awarded up to $6,095 for the 2018-19 school year. Pell Grants do not have to be paid back. Fill out the FAFSA to be considered for a Pell Grant.  Any Pell Grant-eligible student whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after Sept.11, 2001 will receive the maximum award amount. The student must be under 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time in college at the time of their parent’s or guardian’s death.
What if I am a student at FKCC but I want to take a course or courses at another institution? 
Students can only receive financial aid through one institution at a time. If you want to take courses elsewhere temporarily you must complete the Transient Student Association Application at Florida Virtual Campus and a CFK-Consortium-Agreement. It is the students responsibility to transfer funds received to pay funds due elsewhere. FKCC does not pay fees at other institutions directly.

What do I need to do to allow a third party (parent, spouse, etc) to discuss details of my student account with FKCC? 
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) does not allow details of a student’s account to be disclosed to a third party without written permission from the student. A completed FERPA Consent Form must be submitted to Enrollment Services before staff members will discuss any specific details regarding a student.