The College of the Florida Keys welcomes new and transfer students interested in using their Tuition Assistance or Veterans Education Benefits to complete one or more of our eligible degree programs.

Active Duty Military Tuition Assistance

If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance Program.


Tuition Assistance Resource Guide

*Contact the CFK Business Services office for additional information on utilizing Tuition Assistance: 305-809-3186.

VA Educational Benefits

If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Steps to Enrollment at CFK

  1. Apply for VA benefits

If you have never claimed your educational benefits, you must first complete an application with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Electronic applications can be submitted via this VA link: Keep a copy of your application and confirmation page when you submit online. Veterans that are claiming benefits under Chapters 30, 32, 33, 1606, or 1607 may also submit a hard copy Application for VA Education Benefits (Form 22-1990) instead of applying electronically.

If you are a spouse or child of a service member or veteran who has transferred all or some of their Post 9/11 GI Bill to you, make sure it has been approved by the Department of Defense (DoD) first. Then, complete Form 22-1990E. Additional information regarding the transfer of benefits can be found on the VA website: .

If you have already used your VA benefits at another institution and are transferring in to CFK, please complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training through or by completing Form 22-1995. If you using the paper option, submit your completed form to the CFK Financial Aid office.

Once VA processes your application, they will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. You will need to submit your Certificate of Eligibility and your most recent DD-214 (Member-4) to our office before requesting enrollment certification.

If you have questions on what you qualify for and differences between benefits, VA has information to help you in determining what benefit is best for you on their website. You can also call VA Education Services for additional assistance at 1-888-442-4551.

  1. Apply to Florida Keys Community College  

Application link:

Contact each of your previous colleges or if this is your first time in college, contact your high school/GED to request official copies of your transcripts be sent to the CFK Enrollment Services office. Please request your military transcript. Information about military transcripts and how to request them is available at the following links:

  1. Apply for Financial Aid

Many Veteran students are eligible for federal student aid including grants, scholarships, and student loans. Receiving financial aid does not affect your VA benefits in any way. Complete the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

CFK offers:

Information regarding Federal Student Loans can be found via these links:

  1. Register for classes and request enrollment certification to receive VA benefits

Contact Advising Services to make an appointment with your Academic Advisor or contact your program’s Director for assistance in creating an academic plan and choosing courses.

Once you are registered, complete the Certification Request Form:  and submit it to our office. This is your way of letting us know that you are registered and ready to be certified. You can submit your request up to 60 days before the start of the term.

  1. Arrange for Payment of Tuition & Fees

It is every student’s responsibility to ensure that their student account is current and paid in full by the payment deadline each term. Each student’s level of benefits are unique and the VA may not cover all of the term’s fees. If you qualify for any VA benefits, you can apply for a 60-day deferment of fees for Fall and Spring terms or a 30-day deferment for Summer terms. If you would like to request a deferment of fees please submit the Deferment Request Form: to FKCC Business Services.

For Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Ch 33) students and VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch 31) students, our tuition policy complies with 38 USC 3679(e) which means Post 9/11 and Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment students will not be charged or otherwise penalized due to a delay in VA tuition and fee payments.  For eligibility consideration, a Post 9/11 GI Bill student must submit a VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and a Vocational Rehabilitation Student must provide a VAF 28-1905 form. Both must submit a signed certification request form.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at
  1. Books

You can view required materials and books, and order from Order books ahead of time so you do not get behind in your classes. For Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients, the VA will provide you with a book stipend each term based on your credit hours. The stipend is capped at $1000 per academic year. For Ch 31 recipients, ask your VA Vocational Rehabilitation counselor about books and supplies. If you are also a financial aid recipient you may be eligible for a book voucher.

Other Resources:

  • College Navigator – a consumer tool that provides school information such as:
  • Information regarding, cost of attendance federal grants, FKCC and other scholarships, net semester cost after aid has been applied, and Expected Family Contribution can all be accessed through your FKCC student portal: Login.


If you have questions for FKCC’s certifying official please email or call 305-809.3523.

FKCC highly recommends that all of our veteran students take the time to meet with the Monroe County Veterans Affairs Office: . The friendly and knowledgeable staff there are happy to help you gain access to the all of the benefits that may be available to you including disability, healthcare and non-service connected pension. Please call 305-295-5150 to make an appointment.

For specific information about benefits, current and prospective students can call the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or log in to

CHANGES to the POST 9/11 GI BILL effective FALL 2011: 

  • State caps for tuition & fee payments have been eliminated. Instead, the VA will only pay the net charges for in-state tuition and fees for any program for public schools.
  • Break pay is eliminated for all GI Bill programs.
  • A student must be enrolled full-time in order to receive the full housing allowance.